The family and friends of Edward Davies are hoping that anyone who was walking or climbing in Glen Coe on or since the weekend of 7/8 May might be able to help police and Mountain Rescue teams find the missing hillwalker.
Edward (Ed) was walking in the area of Sgor na h-Ulaidh on Sunday 8 May. He is in his late 30s, 5’ 11, slim, with dark brown hair. Ed left a note in his car giving details of his route, that he was wearing a blue Rab waterproof jacket, and that he was expected back the same day.
The Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team are convinced that Ed would have been seen by others in the Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Beinn Fhionnlaidh area on the Sunday as it was a warm day and visibility was excellent. They are appealing for new information from people walking in the area about whether they saw Ed at any point during the day.
This is a critical time for Ed. Although he has been missing for nine days, he could still be found alive. His family say he has excellent mental and physical strength and is aware that any rescue attempts may take a long period of time.
Ed is an extremely experienced hillwalker and is very likely to have a small dark-coloured one-man tent in case of emergency, as well as extra provisions.
“I have joined Ed on many walks in Scotland”, says his sister Mary. “He loves walking in the Highlands and is extremely knowledgeable about this landscape and its wildlife. As a Munro-bagger with over 100 climbs completed, this is his passion.
“We know that Ed climbed two Munros on the Saturday, and was seen having a pint in the Clachaig Inn on the Saturday evening. He did speak with us about the risks involved with doing these climbs alone, as well as the precautions he takes in preparing for these challenging climbs. We know if anyone can endure this experience then it is Ed.”
His mother, Margaret, says: “I have been overwhelmed by the amount of support the Police and the people of Glencoe have given in helping us find Ed. The Mountain Rescue Teams, in particular, have committed so much time and energy in searching so far. I cannot express how grateful myself and my family are. I have not given up hope for us finding my son as I know quite how strong he is. These last few days have just shown to me how much he is loved and cared for by friends and family, and we all now just want to have him brought safely back home.
“If you were in this area from the 7th May onwards I implore you to think back and consider if you saw my son, or anything unusual such as a tent or items of clothing in the Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Beinn Fhionnlaidh area.”
Anyone with information, no matter how small, is asked to contact the Police urgently on 101.